2. PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The categories of personal information we collect depend on how you interact with us, our Services, and the requirements of applicable law. We collect information that you provide to us, information we obtain automatically when you use our Services, and information from other sources such as third-party services and organizations, as described below.
A. Information You Provide to Us Directly
We may collect the following personal information that you provide to us.
- Software Trial Versions, Enterprise Custom Quotes and Free Services; Paid Services We may collect information, such as name, email address, and/or company name, when you request a trial version of our software from our website, request an enterprise custom price quote, use or register software you download from us (whether downloaded or hosted on our website or a third-party website), or send us data to analyze (such as data from your use of the free version of the Bazel Invocation Analyzer), which we may offer as a free service from time to time. Additionally, subject to the terms and conditions of any agreement governing any paid Services we provide, we may collect data related to your use of our Services such as performance data, times the Services were invoked, anonymized results produced through the use of our Services, and/or certain other data which may be used to improve our Services in general as well as to assist us in assuring or improving the quality of the particular Services we are providing to you or to address any incidents or issues that may arise related to the use of our Services.
- Your Communications with Us We may collect personal information, such as name, email address, telephone number, company name and/or mailing address when you request information about our Services and/ or offerings, register for our newsletter or loyalty program, request customer or technical support, request to become a partner, apply for a job, or otherwise communicate with us. This may include personal information you may upload to or otherwise send us based on your use of proprietary or open source software, such as a Bazel profile you generated based on your software, or outputs based on your use of the open source version of the Bazel Invocation Analyzer.
- Surveys We may contact you to participate in surveys. If you decide to participate, you may be asked to provide certain information, which may include personal information.
- Interactive Features We and others who use our Services may collect personal information that you submit or make available through our interactive features (e.g., messaging and chat features, commenting functionalities, forums, blogs, and social media pages). Any information you provide using the public sharing features of the Services (referred to herein as User Content) will be considered “public,” unless otherwise required by applicable law, and is not subject to the privacy protections referenced herein.
- Conferences, Trade Shows, and Other Events We may collect personal information from individuals when we attend or host conferences, trade shows, and other events.
- Business Development and Strategic Partnerships We may collect personal information from individuals and third parties to assess and pursue potential business opportunities.
- Job Applications We may post job openings and opportunities on our Services. If you reply to one of these postings by submitting your application, CV and/or cover letter to us, we will collect and use this information to assess your qualifications and to contact you as appropriate.
We may collect personal information automatically when you use our Services:
- Automatic Data Collection We may collect certain information automatically when you use our Services. Every time our website is accessed, usage data is transmitted through the respective internet browser and stored in log files, the so-called server log files. The data records stored in this way contain the following data: Date and time of access, name of the page accessed, IP address, referrer URL (originating URL from which you accessed the website), the amount of data transferred, as well as product and version information of the browser used and the operating system of your PC. The IP addresses of the users are deleted or de-identified after the end of use. No evaluation or analysis of the data, except for statistical purposes and then only in a pseudonymized form, take place. No persona “surf profiles” or similar are created or processed. We may also collect user settings, MAC address, cookie identifiers, and other unique identifiers, browser or device information, location information (including approximate location derived from IP address), and Internet service provider.
- Cookies Cookies are small text files that are stored on a visitor’s computer and contain data about the respective users to give them access to various functions. Both session cookies and permanent cookies are used on our website. A session cookie is temporarily stored on the computer you are using while navigating through the website. A session cookie is deleted as soon as you close your Internet browser or as soon as your session expires after a certain time. A permanent cookie remains on your computer until it is deleted. The storage of a cookie ensures that you do not have to repeatedly enter your personal settings and preferences each time you visit our website. This saves you time and makes the use of our website more comfortable for you, but requires storage of certain personal information necessary to enable this functionality.
- Pixel Tags/Web Beacons A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded in our Services that collects information about engagement on our Services. The use of a pixel tag allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement. We may also include web beacons in e-mails to understand whether messages have been opened, acted on, or forwarded.
Our uses of these Technologies fall into the following general categories:
- Operationally Necessary This includes Technologies that allow you access to our Services, applications, and tools that are required to identify irregular website behavior, prevent fraudulent activity, improve security, or allow you to make use of our functionality;
- Performance-Related We may use Technologies to assess the performance of our Services, including as part of our analytic practices to help us understand how individuals use our Services (see Analytics below);
- Functionality-Related We may use Technologies that allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using our Services. This may include identifying you when you sign into our Services, improving usability or keeping track of your specified preferences, interests, or past items viewed;
- Advertising- or Targeting-Related We may use first party or third-party Technologies to deliver content, including ads relevant to your interests, on our Services or on third-party websites.
See YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES AND RIGHTS below to understand your choices regarding these Technologies.
- Analytics We may use Technologies and other third-party tools to process analytics information on our Services. These technologies allow us to process usage data to better understand how our website and web-related Services are used, and to continually improve and personalize our Services.
C. Information Collected from Other Sources
We may obtain information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations. For example, if you access our Services through a third-party application, such as an app store, a third-party login service, or a social networking site, we may collect information about you from that third-party application that you have made available via your privacy settings. This may include, for example, data from a cloud infrastructure provider hosting our Services and/or your data as part of the Services we provide to you.
3. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, for administrative purposes, and to market our Services, as described below.
A. Provide Our Services
We use your information to enter into, administer and perform our contract with you, fulfill our obligations, communicating with you to address your questions as well as inform you about relevant information, and provide you with our Services, such as:
- Managing your information and accounts;
- Providing access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services;
- Answering requests for customer or technical support;
- Communicating with you about your account, activities on our Services, and policy changes;
- Processing your financial information and other payment methods for Services purchased;
- Processing applications if you apply for a job we post on our Services; and
- Allowing you to register for events.
B. Administrative Purposes
We use your information in our legitimate interest, such as:
- Pursuing our legitimate interests such as direct marketing, research and development (including marketing research), ensuring network and information security and operation, and fraud prevention;
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Measuring interest and engagement in our Services;
- Short-term, transient use, such as contextual customization of ads;
- Improving, upgrading, or enhancing our Services;
- Developing and improving Services;
- Ensuring internal quality control and safety;
- Authenticating and verifying individual identities, including requests to exercise your rights under this policy;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors with our Services;
- Auditing relating to interactions, transactions, and other compliance activities;
- Sharing information with third parties as needed to provide the Services;
- Enforcing our agreements and policies, including, as an example, investigating and addressing any abuse of our systems or Services; and
- Other uses as required to comply with our legal obligations (e.g., regulatory requirements, commercial and tax storage, and proof obligations).
C. Marketing and Advertising our Services
We may use personal information to tailor and provide you with content and advertisements. We may provide you with these materials as permitted by applicable law.
Some of the ways we market to you include email campaigns, custom audiences advertising, and “interest-based” or “personalized advertising,” including through cross-device tracking.
If you have any questions about our marketing practices, or if you would like to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes, you may contact us at any time as set forth in CONTACT US below.
D. With your Consent
We may use personal information for other purposes that are clearly disclosed to you at the time you provide personal information or with your consent.
E. Other Purposes
We also use your information for other purposes as requested by you or as permitted by applicable law.
- Automated Decision Making We may engage in automated decision making, including profiling. EngFlow’s processing of your personal information will not result in a decision based solely on automated processing that significantly affects you unless such a decision is necessary as part of a contract we have with you, we have your consent, or we are permitted by law to engage in such automated decision making. If you have questions about our automated decision making, you may contact us as set forth in CONTACT US below.
- De-identified and Aggregated Information We may use personal information and other information about you to create de-identified and/or aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, information about the device from which you access our Services, or other analyses we create through your use of our Services, such as the Bazel Invocation Analyzer or any software you may download from our website or a third-party website and use, to improve our Services. If we create or receive personal data that has been de-identified or aggregated, we will not attempt to reidentify it, except to comply with applicable law or requirements of governmental authorities.
- Free or Promotional Services We also may use your personal information to provide free or promotional services (other than the Services), such as our offer from time to time to analyze data from your use of the free, open-source version of the Bazel Invocation Analyzer or a free remote caching or remote execution trial.
4. HOW WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
We disclose your information to third parties for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, to protect us or others, or in the event of a major business transaction such as a merger, sale, or asset transfer, as described below.
A. Disclosures to Provide our Services
The categories of third parties with whom we may share your information are described below.
- Service Providers We may share your personal information with our third-party service providers who use that information to help us provide our Services. This includes service providers that provide us with IT support, email service providers, hosting, payment processing, customer service, software- as-a-service providers, accounting service providers, and related services.
- Business Partners We may share your personal information with business partners to provide you with a Service you have requested. We may also share your personal information with business partners with whom we jointly offer Services or who work with us to allow them or us to provide a Service to you.
- Affiliates We may share your personal information with our company affiliates for our administrative purposes, including activities such as IT management, for them to provide services to you or support and supplement the Services we provide.
- Other Users/Website Visitors As described above in PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT, our Services allow you to share your User Content with other Users/publicly, including to those who do not use our Services.
- Advertising Partners We may share your personal information with third-party advertising partners. These third-party advertising partners may set Technologies and other tracking tools on our Services to collect information regarding your activities and your device (e.g., your IP address, cookie identifiers, page(s) visited, location, time of day). These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other services) for purposes of delivering personalized advertisements to you when you visit digital properties within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising” or “personalized advertising.”
- APIs/SDKs We may use third-party Application Program Interfaces (APIs) and Software Development Kits (SDKs) as part of the functionality of our Services. For more information about our use of APIs and SDKs, please contact us as set forth in CONTACT US below.
B. Disclosures to Protect Us or Others
We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our, or others’ rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
C. Disclosure in the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, your personal and other information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction, as permitted by law and/or contract.
5. YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES AND RIGHTS
- Your Privacy Choices The privacy choices you may have about your personal information are determined by applicable law and are described below.
- Do Not Track Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
- Cookies and Interest-Based Advertising You may stop or restrict the placement of Technologies on your device or remove them by adjusting your preferences as your browser or device permits. However, if you adjust your preferences, our Services may not work properly. Please note that cookie-based opt-outs are not effective on mobile applications. However, you may opt-out of personalized advertisements on some mobile applications by following the instructions for Android, iOS, and others.
The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from data partners and other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these and learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative, the Digital Advertising Alliance, the European Digital Advertising Alliance, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada.
Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device.
- Your Privacy Rights In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right to:
- Access Personal Information about you, including: (i) confirming whether we are processing your personal information; (ii) obtaining access to or a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format; and (iii) receiving an electronic copy of personal information that you have provided to us, or asking us to send that information to another company in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format (the “right of data portability”);
- Request Correction of your personal information where it is inaccurate or incomplete. In some cases, we may provide self-service tools that enable you to update your personal information;
- Request Deletion of your personal information;
- Request Restriction of or Object to our processing of your personal information including where the processing of your personal information is based on our legitimate interest or for direct marketing purposes; and
- Withdraw your Consent to our processing of your personal information at any time with effect for the future if you have given us your consent to process personal data for specific purposes. Please note that your withdrawal will only take effect for future processing and will not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us as set forth in CONTACT US below. We will process such requests in accordance with applicable laws.
- Your Privacy Choices The privacy choices you may have about your personal information are determined by applicable law and are described below.
6. SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
By using our Services or providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of our Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on our Services, by mail, or by sending an email to you.
7. INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
All information processed by us may be transferred, processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including, but not limited to, the United States, the European Union or other countries or geographies, which may have data protection laws that are different and/or less protective than the laws where you live. We endeavor to safeguard your information consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.
8. RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
With respect to German residents, we store your data on the basis of legal proof and storage obligations, which result among other things from the German Commercial Code and the German Tax Code, according to which the storage periods are up to ten full years. In addition, we keep data for the period during which claims can be asserted against our company (statutory limitation period of three years until the end of the year).
9. CHILDREN'S INFORMATION
The Services are not directed to children under 13 (or other age as required by local law), and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children.
If you are a parent or guardian and believe your child has uploaded personal information to our site without your consent, you may contact us as described in CONTACT US below. If we become aware that a child has provided us with personal information in violation of applicable law, we will delete any personal information we have collected, unless we have a legal obligation to keep it, and terminate the child’s account, if applicable.
10. OTHER PROVISIONS
- Supervisory Authority If you are located in the European Economic Area, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, or Brazil, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you believe our processing of your personal information violates applicable law.
11. CONTACT US